Some of the earliest immigrants to Texas from Upper Silesia did not join the main body that settled Panna Maria. Many who had been craftsmen or merchants in Poland, for example, found it more convenient to stay in San Antonio, where they could establish businesses. Others who traveled the rugged road to the interior from the main disembarkation points in Indianola or Galveston decided to halt at some attractive spot along the way, in Victoria County. This was the original location of Espíritu Santo mission, founded in the 1720s (Nuestra Señora del Espíritu Santo de Zúñiga Mission, commonly called La Bahía). The area has seen a settlement called Arenosa, after a nearby creek, and another known as Garcitas (also after a creek). After the Civil War, Silesians founded another colony here, which they called Gazeta. In 1873, they established a small Catholic church and cemetery on one acre of land deeded for that purpose by parishioner Frank Garvel. In 1889, however, to take full advantage of a new railroad, the congregation moved to the town of Inez. They reconstructed their church building, and dedicated it to St. Joseph in 1890. In August 1892, Frank and Anna Obsta Garvel conveyed four acres in Inez for a new cemetery, and reclaimed the land in Gazeta. In 1900, the town boasted various businesses, including a lumberyard, a cotton gin, and a mercantile store. Many of these (and indeed, most of the townsite) were owned by Rancher Henry Clay Koontz Sr., best known as the founder of the Koontz Ranch with its C Bar E brand. The population of Inez is currently less than two thousand residents.